TIPS ON SELECTING A COMPETENT AND TRUSTWORTHY HOUSEHOLD GOODS MOVING COMPANY
This is the time of year when many people/families prepare to move for a variety of reasons. They purchase a new home, upsize or downsize, or they are relocating to start a new job in a new location. Relocations for whatever reason can be within home country, cross border or international.
Whatever the reason for your move, please do your homework before selecting and committing to a household goods moving company. There are "Rogue Movers" on the fringes of the household goods moving industry who take advantage of people who are relocating.
Here are some "To Dos" which will help you make a smart choice:
- Research the internet to acquire the names/locations and services provided by moving companies
- Ensure that the moving companies you select to provide you with an estimate are affiliated with a Major Van Line, ie.: Allied Van Lines
- Check websites and company owner's names. Check how long they have been in business, ad verify that the company belongs to a trade association of movers [CAM-Canadian Association of Movers]. Contact the Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce
- Check recent references and contact them
- Visit the operations centre and storage facilities if you will be storing your goods for a period of time
- Ensure your selected moving company provides an in home survey. This is non-negotiable
- Confirm the actual price will be no higher than 10% of the estimated price. The exception being if extra furniture etc. is added to the shipment after the estimate has been completed
- Ensure the moving company performs background checks on all their employees, particularly the people that will be working within your home
- Confirm if employees are performance paid, ie., do they receive bonuses when the shipment is delivered and no damage claims are filed
- Ensure payment terms are clearly agreed upon when you book your move
Here are some "Not To Do" which will help you make a smart choice:
- Ensure you are comparing "apples to apples" when reviewing your estimates from different moving companies. The lowest price is quite often not the best price, quality comes at a cost. If it looks to good to be true, it usually is.
- Do not contact more than 3 moving companies for an estimate.
- Don't wait, when you know you are moving and you have a good idea of when you want to move, arrange for your estimates and select a Moving Company. This will help ensure your requested move dates can be accommodated. It is critical to get the process started by selecting a moving company asap.
- Never prepay for your move or agree to pay a large cash deposit prior to completion of your move